Pool pump issue

• Last Post 10 February 2017
Deadpool posted this 10 February 2017

Recently I have had an issue with my pool pump and filter gauge not maintaining pressure. My pressure gauge normally stays around 12 after backwash or DE change, but in the last week the pool pump will get just enough water to rush through the filter, the gauge will read 15, and then suddenly it will lose all pressure and read 0. It will cycle every 10 minutes in the same way. The pool pump seems like it can't keep the water flowing. I checked for water leaks, didn't find any. I suspect some type of air leak but I am not sure. I'd like to get an idea of what I could be before I try to work on it or have to call a pool tech. Thanks!

** It may be notable to add 1) There is a very small crack in the pump near  the lip of where the basket is and underneath where the gasket lid is located. 2) I recently change the filter valve. Did it to specs for pentair FNS

It is a 25,000 gal pool, single stage pump, FNS 36 DE filter. 

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Deadpool posted this 10 February 2017

Also, this has been happening before I changed my pool valve. 

InyoRob posted this 10 February 2017

Hello Deadpool - It sounds like you have a suction side air leak. Common areas for an air leak are the pump lid (gasket), the pump intake and fittings/valves on the suction side of the pump. You mentioned that there was a crack near the lid. This could cause the air leak.

To check these areas, you can use incense. While the pump is running wave a lit incense stick near the suspected air leak. The smoke should be drawn in if there is a leak.

The filter valve would not cause the kind of issue you are describing.

Close