Motor overheating

• Last Post 31 July 2018
Mainer posted this 30 July 2018

I have a UST1102 of unknown age (it was there when we bought the house 10 years ago).  After running for perhaps 1 hour the other day it turned itself off.  It was very hot to the touch.  Followed advice on forum and cleared debris around motor (we've had a lot of rain so there was a good amount) and cleaned air intakes.  Reinstalled and turned it on.  Temperature got up to 215 so I turned it off again.  I realize that pump is old and I could just replace it, but my concern is that air intakes were clogged with DE when I cleaned them .  I'm wondering if the problem is with a gasket rather than the pump itself.   This is the first time the pump has ever turned itself off. I don't believe it has been overheating for long because the outside of the motor is still clean with an easy to read label. 

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
InyoRob posted this 31 July 2018

Thank you for contacting Inyo. The most common cause of an older motor overheating is a bad phase winding. If that's the case, the motor would need to be replaced. 

You'll need to replace the seals if you replace the motor. Do you know the make and model of the pump side?

Mainer posted this 31 July 2018

Hi,

I can't find a model number on it.  It is a Hayward and it is exactly like this one.  http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/how-to-troubleshoot-a-pool-pump-motor-motor-shuts-down.

Also, I mispoke when I said air outlet, I should have said impeller outlet was clogged with DE.  Also impeller housing is full of DE. Could this be causing pump to work too hard?

InyoRob posted this 31 July 2018

The pump could overheat if it was clogged up with DE. If the problem continues after you clean out the DE, it's time to replace the motor.

The pump used in that guide was a Hayward Super II. The seal kit for the Super II is part number 5110-26.

Close