Motor Overheating

• Last Post 13 May 2018
RobertC posted this 05 May 2018

The motor on my pool pump seems to have started overheating. It will run for a few minutes then shut off. I did some reseach and found that this is most likely an overheating problem, I touched the motor case when it shut off and it is extremely hot. Everything I read said this is probably due to improper wiring, but I dont think that is my case. I just bought the house and the pump has been running great for the 2 weeks that I have been here. The pool always stayed a little murky, never quite clear. I asked at a local pool retailer and they suggested that I pull the filter out and clean it. I pulled it out and power washed it, some nasty greenish brown muck came out, and the filter actually turned white again. I put it back in and now the pump has started this overheating thing. Is there something that I could have done wrong with cleaning or reinserting the filter that could be causing this? I have pulled it out and reseated it with no effect on the overheating.

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RobertC posted this 06 May 2018

I think I solved the problem, the pump has been running for 2 hours now without a shutdown. I decided that the only thing that I changed, that started the issue, was to pull out the filter and powerwash it. So I take a look at the filter again to make sure that I seated it correctly or to see if I could spot anything wrong. As soon as I opened the canister that holds the filter, I noticed that the writing on the filter said "BOTTOM". Doh...I put it in upside down, it seems to be running without an issue now.

InyoRob posted this 07 May 2018

That's great news, Robert. Let us know if you run into any other issues.

RobertC posted this 13 May 2018

Welll.....I thought I had figured this out. The filter was installed upside down, after turning it over it ran a full 8 hours without shutting off, but started again the next day, shutting off after about 5 minutes of running. Is it possible that I just damaged the filter by powerwashing it? Should my next step be to buy a new filter?

InyoRob posted this 13 May 2018

Is the filter PSI really high when the pump is running? If so, the cartridge may need to be replaced.

The motor problem may be bad windings. If that's the case, the motor would need to be replaced as well.

Close