This is driving me crazy.  (4 year old Jandy Stealth Pro 2 speed pump, 1HP) Got up the other morning to hear the pump buzzing then tripping its internal protection over and over.  Up till then never a problem.  Tried resetting, but it would trip after a few seconds every time on high speed.  Tried on low, it would run about 10 secs, burning smell then a little smoke and off. 

I then started researching and after that I took the motor and housing apart, inspected impeller and everything seemed normal.  Motor would turn by hand so no issues there.  OK maybe the Capacitor.  Purchased a new one, reinstalled the pump and tried.

At first very simialar issue, but I thought maybe it was just having a hard time trying.  High speed it would trip internal right away. Tried low and it would run about 10 second while humming.  I kept trying then suddenly it stopped humming and low speed worked.  I tried high speed and it tripped!  Went back to low and it worked.  I let it run about an hour and no problems. 

Decided to try HIGH again and wow....it works.  Ran it all night no issues...Im ecstatic!!!!  It works on normal Intermatic timer so I leave it.  (its only set to run HIGH speed, goes 5 hours turns off then starts back up hours later for another 6 hours.  So I come home and its not on when it should be, I inspect it and notice this time the breaker in the panel box is flipped.  I flip it to on and then press manual button on Intermatic for high and IMMEDIATELY the circuit breaker flips off.  I try it on LOW and again same thing it trips immediately, no pump action whatsoever either HIGH or LOW.  At least before the motor would TRY!

So now Im really puzzled. Cant be the CAP its brand new.

Given all the other issues does this seem to be a motor windings issue????

Was so looking forward to the pool this weekend!!!!

***********************UPDATE**************

I removed back plate to inspect wires, and Cap cover.  Nothing I could see was touching.  I pulled on wires to inspect.  I then tried turning on....low speed the motor turned for about two seconds then tripped breaker in pool panel box.  High speed is still nearly instant.

Not sure if the pulling on wires did this or just a coincidence because it immediately tripped breaker before this.

Help please

Rick