I had a 1 - 2 yr old pool pump die on me a week ago. I took it to a local electric motor shop and they told me the windings were bad so they sold me a new 230v/115v pool pump and installed the impeller assembly for me. I installed the pump at home - black to the L1, white to L2 and green to ground screw. I'm getting regular overheating... at first it was after 45 minutes of run time but the other day it ran for a couple hours before shutting off. I've double checked my wiring and everything seems fine there. I can't figure out how to check voltage at my pump to confirm that I have the hot/neutral wires setup properly but I'm pretty sure this is how it was on the old motor I uninstalled (which was installed by a local pool company).
What happens if my black and white are switched and hot goes to L2 instead of L1?
I'm getting concerned that this pump is going to overheat and I'm going to end up with another dead pump in a year. Any tips?
I'm setup for 115v and I know I don't have two hot wires to run 230v (switching to 230v makes the pump run at a trickle).
My pump is outdoors... is it possible that this is just overheating due to direct sunlight? I don't feel like that was ever an issue for me before.