4 wires to my pool pump

• Last Post 10 July 2021
JeffVo posted this 08 July 2021

I had a 2 speed pump which required 4 wires going to it.  It had black on L1, white on L2, red on A, and green to ground.  It went bad and needed to be replaced.  I'm replacing it with a single speed 240v pump.  I know standward wiring for 230V uses 3 wires (black and red for hot, green for ground).

My question is, since I went from a 2speed pump with 4wires and now going to a single speed which normally uses 3 wires... what is the correct way to do it?

My new pump ONLY has L1 and L2 terminals for hot (no terminal labeled "A").  Green for ground... that's easy.  But where does the other 3 go (black, red, white)??  I need to wire it for 230V.

thanks in advance!

JCMC70 posted this 10 July 2021

Hello,

240v pumps don't use the neutral (white) wire. So the hot wires (black and red) would be connected to the L1and L2 terminal and the bare wire to the ground. If the wire comes straight from the breaker to the motor it shouldn't make any difference which color goes to the terminals.

But if the wire is coming from a timer you would need to make sure that the wire color that is attached to the L1 terminal on the timer is attached to the L1 terminal on the motor.

Whether or not you can use the existing wire and just not connect the neutral (white) or you will need to run a new 3 wire only cable is something you would need to verify with your local city/county authorities or a local electrician could probably answer that question.

J

Close