30 yr old 18x33 Oval Rusted Through - Fixable?

• Last Post 09 May 2017
crthomp167 posted this 09 May 2017

Bought a house with a big above ground pool and a full wrapped around deck.  I believe it's a 18'x33''x48".  It's definitely not a 54" that's for sure.  

Two summers of swimming and everything seemed fine.  Opened it up this year and saw an odd deformity in the liner at the round side of the oval closest to the yard.  Unscrewed the deck boards to see if my fears were true and there it was... the liner was buldgiung through a rusted out 2'x1' hole in the metal sidewall.  How it hadn't busted through and flooded, I have no idea.  I guess I have to give credit to the liner for holding that pressure because I used an aquadoor to keep the water level high when I closed it.

I haven't checked the sides, but I want to assume there's no buttresses on the side upright posts, but I don't know for sure.  All I know is that I completred drained the pool, removed the liner and the side walls never fell down.  

The wall of the pool looks like one big piece that might have been in a roll like sheet metal and then fanned out.  There's not individual sections, no seems except for one (where I assume the beginning and end of the roll meet) so it's not as if I could easily replace just that bad section.  After taking it all out, there's some rusting spots in other areas that look ominous as well.  

InyoRob posted this 09 May 2017

Hello Chris - That wall looks like it is beyond repair. If the rest of the parts are in good condition, we recommend replacing the pool wall. Unfortunately, we do not sell the walls without the pool frame. We found a place that does have the walls. Check out https://www.thepoolfactory.com/pool-supplies/replacement-parts/above-ground-pool-parts?rp_part_type=465

Close