spa pump

• Last Post 18 April 2019
Blake5 posted this 18 April 2019

We are a commercial  fitness facility and we keep needing to replace the seal kit in our spa pump it last about 3 months any idaes on why this is happening?

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
InyoRob posted this 18 April 2019

The sticky residue could be from silicone or teflon lubricant used on the o-rings. The o-rings do not need a lot of lubricant. They just need enough to make them shiny. The previously mentioned lubricants should not be used on the shaft seal, only the o-rings. Hopefully, no petroleum products were used on the seals. That would cause them to fail prematurely.

The sticky residue could also be caused by oils from bathers or a reaction of an algaecide with other substances.

Blake5 posted this 18 April 2019

Thanks, I am building maintenance and only help the pool guys on occasion. Lucky for me I dont deal with the chemicals lol, and when I suggest to them its Chemical issue, they tell me they cant do it any different. This time I noticed a kind of sticky residue inside pump area. It is the Heavy duty seal from you.

InyoRob posted this 18 April 2019

My guess what be some kind of water chemistry issue. Maybe the pH is kept on the low side or maybe it's a salt water spa. We would recommend going with a heavy duty shaft seal. The heavy-duty shaft seal should have Viton rubber, silicon carbide primary ring, and a silicon carbide seat.

Close