Should a pool pump motor last more than 2 years?

• Last Post 13 July 2021
jennels posted this 11 July 2021

Hi,  

I have a 20 x 40 rectangular inground pool with vinyl liner. We have a salt water system. We had our pool put in 2014. In May of 2019 our pool pump was making a lot of noise  and died. So we had a new one put in by a pool company . They put in a  UST1152 Super Pump 1-1/2 HP inground motor and a Super pump seal. 

Fast forward to yesterday, our pool pump started making a loud noise again. It a loud humming. It kind of sounds like the noise I used to hear from transformers if that makes sense. I called the pool company and was told there was only a one year warranty . They are going to charge me $150 to come out and $599 for a new motor.

It seems it should last longer than this. I don't want to replace t he motor every two years. Would I be better off just buying a whole new pump?  Is there a better one to go with? Is it this type of pump? I know the pool company will basically put the same one in again.

JCMC70 posted this 13 July 2021

Hello,

In a word, yes! Pump motors should last more than 2 years. The only caveats to that would be a bad motor or operating the motor in extreme conditions.

From what you have described, the motor runs. The humming noise could be a capacitor going bad.

Since the motor starts, logically the start capacitor is working. The run capacitor may be failing. But I would test both.
If you don't feel comfortable testing the capacitors, the pool company should be able to do that or recommend someone who can.

Capicitors are only $20 or so. Much cheaper than a new motor. 

And if it is the motor, $599 seems high even if that includes installing it.

J

Close