Pump Motor Overheating

• Last Post 29 June 2018
ThomasDobis posted this 25 June 2018

I recently bought a house with a pool. The pump and motor were working fine until I have to do major cleaning around the equipment area due to the prior owners negligence. Now the motor runs until it heats up and the thermal protection turns it off. I disassembled the motor from the pump to see if anything was damaged and reinstalled it. Then it ran perfectly. A couple of days later it started acting up and turning off 10 mins after running. I read online that the windings may be dirty and that is a possible cause for overheating. I wiped down the motor to get specs for replacement and after wiping it off the motor went back to running perfectly again. To me it seems like an alignment issue for the shaft? Have you heard of overheating issues with my symptoms listed? How do I resolve this issue since it seems my pump and motor are working fine but cant keep them running long before the motor heats up from some friction or alignment problem?

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
InyoRob posted this 29 June 2018

The picture did not come through. Try emailing upload@inyopools.com. Put "Attn Rob - Forum" in the subject line.

ThomasDobis posted this 29 June 2018

InyoRob posted this 29 June 2018

I can't find a 2HP motor with a 1.65 service factor. Any chance you could post a picture of the motor label?

ThomasDobis posted this 28 June 2018

Whisperflo (can’t read the model number on the tag) service factor 1.65 with a 2 hp aosmith century centurion thermally protected motor

InyoRob posted this 28 June 2018

My guess is that the windings are going bad and that is why you keep having these problems. There shouldn't be any realignment needed. 

What is the catalog or model number of the motor? What is the make and model of the pump?

Close