Pool Pump Tripping Breaker

• Last Post 13 July 2021
JeffMarello posted this 04 July 2021

I have a Hayward Super Pump 1HP.  Its and older pump I had numerous issues with it this year. To start the season the impeller was seized.  I was able to free it up.  Then the capaciter blew and I replaced that.  Most recently the motor now trips the breaker on start up.  

While turning on the timer without the pump plugged in, the breaker doesnt trip which makes me think it's a power issue.  The power cable had some worn/frayed insulation but the wires inside did not become exposed.  Is it time for a new motor or is there anything else I can attempt to change?

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Service posted this 07 July 2021

Hi Jeff,

From what you are explaining it sounds like a bad motor. You will require this Hayward Super Pump Replacement Motor You will also need a Hayward Super Pump Seal Kit when you replace your motor. We put together this Video on How to Replace a Pool Pump Motor which you may find helpful when you tackle this project. All of these items are in Stock Ready to Ship!

Thank You

Patrick

www.inyopools.com

JeffMarello posted this 10 July 2021

Thank you.  I Ordered both parts. Do you guys also sell a new power chord for the above pump that has a twist lock 230v plug?

Baker104 posted this 13 July 2021

Why Is My Pool Pump Tripping The Breaker? If the windings inside the motor are shorting together due to heat or age, and your pump is drawing more current and heating up, you will likely notice it when you discover the pump has turned itself off.

Navy Army CCU

Close