Pool Light

• 2.5K Views
  • Last Post 12 May 2022
GeenaPower posted this 30 October 2017

Hi,

We have a pool light that is 17 years old and has gone out. It doesn't have a bulb socket. It has a small computer wiring and 2 small bulbs and a color circular. What is an efficient way to change this to a bulb system?

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
InyoRob posted this 30 October 2017

Hello Geena - It sounds like you are describing a Pentair SAM light. The entire fixture would need to be changed if you want one with a single bulb/socket system.

What is the outside diameter of the face ring? Is it around 10" or 6"?

GeenaPower posted this 18 November 2017

Hi, 

It's 10 Inches. Here are some pics

InyoRob posted this 20 November 2017

Below are the pictures from GeenaPower

InyoRob posted this 20 November 2017

This is definitely a Pac-Fab/Pentair SAM Light. The SAM light can be replaced with a 120v Pentair Amerlite pool light or a 120v Pentair Intellibrite pool light.

GeenaPower posted this 25 November 2017

Hi,

My previous Pentair shows 165 Watts the one we are looking for thru Inyo is 120v w/  300 watts or 400 watts; how much brighter is the difference for 30,000 gallon pool? Also will we need an adapter ring for the niche. The niche is in good shape. Does these two options have white lite only or does it have abilty to change colors: Pool Amerlite 300 Watt 15 Ft Cord 120 Volt - 78421100 or the Pool Amerlite 400 Watt 15 Ft Cord 120 Volt - 78441100. If these do not change should I just buy the Amerlite bulb that changes colors versus the Intellibrite 5g 12v 30' Color LED Pool Light - 601010 

Thanks so much for your insight!

InyoRob posted this 27 November 2017

Hello Geena - We'd recommend the 400 watt for your size pool. You will not require an adapter for your niche. The Intellibrite LED lights have the ability to change colors. The Amerlite does not have color changing abilities unless you add a color changing LED bulb.

CabanaSpringsJax posted this 20 August 2020

I had a question about the same thing! Mine is more along the lines of electrical. The current SAM light I'll be removing is 165 watts, I'd like to put in a bright enough pool light without installing a tranformer if possible. Is that realistic? Thank you in advance!

The pool is 16,000 gallons ^

InyoRob posted this 20 August 2020

Yes, you can go with a higher wattage. If the surface of the pool isn't dark, a 300w light should be sufficient but you can go higher.

So just to verify, I can go with a Pentair 120V 300watt light wired directly in my J box with no transformer? Im handy enough to do that, I've never installed a transformer though. I was looking at the same ones you reccomended above:120v Pentair Intellibrite pool light and120v Pentair Amerlite pool light  Thank you in advance! 

InyoRob posted this 20 August 2020

Yes, you can go with a 300w 120v light and wire it directly to the j-box with no transformer. Either the 120v Pool Intellibrite or 120v Amerlite will work for you. Thank you for shopping with Inyo!

• Liked by
  • CabanaSpringsJax
CabanaSpringsJax posted this 21 August 2020

Sorry for all the questions, my pool light is located in the middle side of the kidney shaped pool. Could I got as high as a 500watt and have nothing to worry about? Thank you 

CabanaSpringsJax posted this 21 August 2020

Or would it be better to go with a 400watt, pool is 16000 gal

InyoRob posted this 21 August 2020

500 would be overkill but it would work. I wouldn't go any higher than 400 unless the surface of the pool is very dark.

• Liked by
  • poolguyp
poolguyp posted this 12 May 2022

Hi, I need to replace an old pentair color wheel pool light (internal it looks identical to geenapowers light above) and need to confirm what model Intellibrite 5g I would order from inyo along with what controller. The pool is 33,000 gallons so assuming a 400w unit would be approriate? Here are a couple of pics of my existing light label, the outer stainless ring is just over 10" diameter. Thank you!

Close