Motor Replacement

• Last Post 28 March 2019
Morey1 posted this 25 March 2019

Hello...I have a Pentair Whisperflo WFE-2 1/2 HP SF 1.9 Pool Pump with an AO Smith Century Centurian Motor Type CX fr R56Y  60 hz, 3450 RPM 208-230/115 volts (not sure how much of all of this you need).  Works fine but has been loud since day one.  We heard very quiet pump in pool store andwere told it was variable speed and on lower settings can give savings and noise relief.  Questions...do I need an entirely new pump or is there a motor I can replace that will allow me to have variable (or dual) speeds and achieve the savings and also noise relief I'm looking for?  I'm game for tackling this myself, but would MUCH rather try to do the motor vs. the entire pump with the potential for plumbing challenges.  Also, does the variable speed make the wiring more challenging or can I use existing wiring on whatever you might recommend?

Thanks

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
InyoRob posted this 26 March 2019

Thank you for contacting Inyo. There is a variable speed motor that will hook up to your Whisperflo. The model is ECM16SQU. The ECM16SQU is a 230v motor and will wire up the same as long as you have 230v. 

We'd also recommend replacing the seals when you replace the motor. The seal kit is GOKIT32. Use GOKIT32SALT if you have salt water.

Morey1 posted this 27 March 2019

Thank you!  Question(s)...1 - is is quiet?, and 2 - how do I tell if I have 230v? (newbie question, sorry).

InyoRob posted this 27 March 2019

The variable speed motors are quiet. You won't be able to tell that it's running on the low speeds.

The best way to determine if it's 115v or 230v is to use a multimeter and test the lines. Typically, a 230v will have a red (hot), black (hot) and green (ground) line. A 115v will have a black (hot), white (neutral), and green (ground) line.

Morey1 posted this 28 March 2019

Thanks again...I'll see if I can "phone a friend" with a multimeter.  The wires are green, black, and light blue if that means anything to you.

Morey1 posted this 28 March 2019

And, BTW this was originally installed by a professional reputable pool company in the area.  I'm just trying to save some money and do some of this myself if I can.

InyoRob posted this 28 March 2019

Tough to say what the light blue would be. You might be able to determine if it was wired for 115v or 230v by looking at the wiring diagram on the motor label and then compare that to how it is wired at the terminal in the back of the motor.

Close