Leak

• Last Post 17 July 2021
1fstmvr posted this 14 July 2021

Hey guys...great site. As a new, saltwater (inground) pool owner, you've given me a wealth of info. So here's my prob/question...

I have a leak. Had a diver (very reputeable & well recommended) come & check my liner, lights, return jets, and pool ladder out of the deep end. Repaired a light and cracks in the pool ladder. Still have a leak. As part of the process they want me to plug the returns and skimmers with the system off, wait 24 hrs and see if my water level changes. If not, does that mean it could be on the suction side? I should mention that there are no visible leaks on the above ground plumbing (heater, filter, pump, T Cell, diverter valve or main valve on my filter). What other tests can help find this leak? Is finding a leak kind of like a process of elimination? What can I expect. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and stay safe out there.

-Ronnie-

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
DontTemptThePoolman posted this 15 July 2021

Yes. It is a process of elimination.  Follow the guidance you've recieved and sit back and wait it out.  Hopefully there wont be a need to bust up concrete but if so, it isnt as bad as it might seem.  If the checks wind up all passing then the driver may have to spend more time looking for pinholes in the liner but most likely it will be narrowed down before having to make that request.  The reason I say that is because he did make a couple of repairs and could have made the assumption that you were all set and so may not have continued searching.

JCMC70 posted this 17 July 2021

Hi Ronnie,

What they are asking you to do will isolate the pool structure from the plumbing. The theory would be if you isolate the pool and the leak stops, it must be in the plumbing. But there's something you need to take into consideration. If the pool is exposed to the sun and it's as hot there as it is here, you're gonna lose water to evaporation. Even if there isn't a leak.

I typically lose between 1/8" to 1/2" of water daily depending on how hot it is and if the sun is out all day or partially hidden on partly cloudy days.

Are you losing a lot of water daily?

You didn't say but if the pool has a set of steps be sure to check the gasket around the front of the steps.

Check the inside of the skimmer for cracks.

J

Close