Breaker tripping

• Last Post 28 September 2020
  • Topic Is Solved
BillS50 posted this 12 July 2020

I have had a inground pool for several years.  In the last couple years I have begun to notice a pattern where, occasionally, after an overnight storm, the circuit breaker will trip at the start of the next cycle.  The pumps are off during the storm but the breaker trips when the timer reaches its next start time.  I have the cleaner pump set to start well after the main pump so as to not pull too much current at once.

When I reset breaker and let the system run, it continues on as normal.  No problems on the next cycles either.  Then (again only occasionally) it will trip after another storm.

Any ideas?  Could an improper grounding wire cause this?

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
BillS50 posted this 27 July 2020

Update.  I took out the capacitor in the cleaner pump.  When I tested it , it seemed to be ok, but the pool store said it was bad.  I replaced it and it seemed to work through and after the next storm.  Was hopeful for a week.  Rained last night.  Breaker tripped when unit when to turn on this morning. 

Any ideas?

BillS50 posted this 28 September 2020

Replaced the wire from the cutoff switch to the motor.  Noticed that the inside of the back of the motor was dry.  Well,  it's happening again.  Replaced the capacitor,  Everything was fine (although we've haven't had rain since I put it in).  Then today, 9/28/20, it tripped the switch on startup.  There was just a light rain last night.  Reset breaker and pump started right up.  Here we go again!

Close